DETROIT – We held back on the Detroit stories as long as we could. We wanted to keep the angle positive for as long as possible. But digging around Detroit you start to uncover some interesting and strange things. There is one group in particular. We encountered a Black youth run clothing line based in Detroit that designed some t-shirts and shorts. These guys are somewhat unsung heroes in the city. They are – Enjoy Detroit – and the kids love them. These guys are pretty interesting and have quite a following. The major media hasn’t really picked up on them yet for some reason and that is strange – considering that they were invited to some of their big events. The media wasn’t interested in that kind of Detroit – you know, where the kids give back to the community.
That is unfortunate for everyone. Because there is a story here that is under the radar and as usual, we found them. We will be bringing you that one shortly….. This is one of those moments when you find something on the cusp of being huge… just like Valentine Vodka, and the other time when we found the Ruiners, (look at the dates on the videos on YouTube… we were there first).
THE DETROIT DOORS TRIBUTE BAND
I don’t want to stay on this subject too long, ( who would?) but I admit I was nominated as the Official Detroit Doors Tribute Band agent. That’s a pretty strong title to hand off to someone who has no agent experience but it was more of an honorary title. You know, the way we honor Bill Cosby as a doctor, (but we’re not going to get into the specifics). There are a lot of half truths out there but I would like to say that I was part of that thing. I was the one who tried to get them into Motor City Casino. We mostly did small shows and never did anything substantial except for the time I got one of their videos mentioned in NME Magzine in the UK. For some reason the Brits dig the Detroit Doors… go figure.
Anyways that’s how I got stuck with their domain name. We attached it to Hot Metro Finds. For some reason they didn’t think claiming ownership of it was very important so I ended up keeping it. That is how it became mine – through a default of ownership. I paid for it anyways.
I ended up getting out of that role as agent. I was only interested in managing them if they could get a run at my families casino, Soaring Eagle in Mount Pleasant. The guy that does the shows wouldn’t book us. Look, I’m not an agency… get it? Anways, I want to get that out there before more allegations fly around about me. I only had a small role in their development.
DETROIT – THE DYING CITY
What a weird time this has been. I have seen so many businesses go out of business for very stupid reasons. The small retail guys are the most interesting. They will tell me they don’t need to promote themselves in any way and that running a business is all about word of mouth. Needless to say a lot of these guys didn’t make it. I have seen restaurants go under, clothing stores go under, and retail stores of all kinds close their doors. I even had two clients kill themselves in 2010.
And for what? You need to promote yourself. You need to get the word out. You need to be vocal.
Out of all the places I have lived I nominate Metro Detroit to be the most resistant to change. But you have to change and you have to adapt. Too much is at stake and there is too much failure happening in our city streets.
And when you mention it out loud people look at you like you lost your mind.
Don’t stare back at me. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
Hot Metro Finds
CATCH UP WITH HOT METRO FINDS & Ted Cantu
1 .DUMB AND DUMBER TO: Is It Worth The 20 Year Wait? – Hot Metro Finds Review
2. Who Else Wants To Create A Super Product Launch With Me? – HOT METRO FINDS, TROY – MICHIGAN
3. HOT METRO FINDS: The Moons – Double Vision Love – Thank God For The Web
4. ADAM LAMBERTS ARMY: The Glamberts Will Rock You And Turn Mainstream Media On Its Ear
5. HOT METRO FINDS: Johnny Marr – Easy Money – First Look Off New Album – Ted Cantu
6. Ted Cantu – Detroit, MI – Marketing Hotline -1.888.305.2532 – Ask A Question
7. HOT METRO FINDS Riot Fest 2014 Review – TED CANTU
8. HOT METRO FINDS: Queen + Adam Lambert Fans Trump Traditional Media Coverage W/ Social Media
9. Hot Metro Finds: Detroit Is The Birthplace Of Punk Rock – Ted Cantu
10. Ted Cantu: How To Brand Your Business – With Social Media – HOT METRO FINDS
11. Ted Cantu & Hot Metro Reviews Slaughter and the Dogs Live At Reggie’s Rock Club For Rocktoberfest
12. Hot Metro Finds Creator Ted Cantu Featured On TV Show, “Self Talk” – in Metro Detroit, MI
13. HOT METRO FINDS: Digital Artist John Hammink Is On A Mission To Prevent Art Director Burnout
14. HOT METRO FINDS: 30th Anniversary of Van Halen “1984” – Angry Mainstream Media Sounds Off
15. TED CANTU: Search Engine Optimization Results – Local Search 2 Years Later
16. TED CANTU – HOT METRO FINDS: How Does Our Google SEO Stands Up 3 Years Later?
17. HOT METRO FINDS: What Does It Take To Brand Your Business?
18. HOT METRO FINDS: How to Brand Your Company
19. HOT METRO FINDS Riot Fest 2014 Review – TED CANTU
20. Ted Cantu – Detroit, MI – Marketing Hotline – 1.888.305.2532
21. HOT METRO FINDS: Queen + Adam Lambert Fans Trump Traditional Media Coverage W/ Social Media
22. HOT METRO FINDS Riot Fest 2014 Review – TED CANTU On The Scene
23. TED CANTU: Quick Google Listings From The Marketing Vault – Hot Metro Finds
24. Ted Cantu On Marketing: SEO, Social Media, Branding and More
25. Ted Cantu: On Branding, SEO, and Marketing YOUR Business
26. HOT METRO FINDS: Queen + Adam Lambert Fans Trump Traditional Media Coverage W/ Social Media
27. HOT METRO FINDS: Billy Idol – Rebel Yell on Jimmy Kimmel
28. HOT METRO FINDS: Seth Godin Secret Prize Inside – Book Review
29. HOT METRO FINDS: How To Change A YouTube Channel Name – 2014
30. HOT METRO FINDS: What’s Up With Facebook’s Unpublished Pages?
31. HOT METRO FINDS: Michigan Businesses Under Attack Of THE WORST SEO Guys In The World
32. HOT METRO FINDS: Joe Vitale Positive Thinking Audio Book – COMPLETE
33. HOT METRO FINDS: Zero Limits – by Joe Vitale – Book Review
34. HOT METRO FINDS: There’s A Customer Born Every Minute – PT Barnum – Joe Vitale
35. HOT METRO FINDS: Meredith Quinn is RED HOT
36. HOT METRO FINDS: Husker Du on the Joan Rivers Show – On FOX
37. HOT METRO FINDS: Joan Rivers Influence On Alternative Radio 1987 – GWAR
38. HOT METRO FINDS: Howard Stern on Joan Rivers Death – Full Show
39. HOT METRO FINDS: Andrew W.K. LIVE AT RIOT FEST 2014
40. HOT METRO FINDS: Television – LIVE AT RIOT FEST 2O14
41. HOT METRO FINDS: Patti Smith at Riot Fest Chicago 2014
42. HOT METRO FINDS: The Flaming Lips at Riot Fest 2014 – Cantu On Location
43. HOT METRO FINDS: The Mighty Mighty Bosstones – Riot Fest Chicago 2014
44. HOT METRO FINDS: Janes Addiction at Chicago Riot Fest 2014
45. HOT METRO FINDS: Ted Cantu Reports on SAMHAIN – LIVE !!
46. HOT METRO FINDS: Social Media Fans Do A Better Journalism Job With Queen and Adam Lambert Than Mainstream Media
47. HOT METRO FINDS: Black Joe Lewis – The Hipster
48. HOT METRO FINDS: Title Fight – BE A TOY – 2014 epitaph music fall sampler
49. HOT METRO FINDS: Weezer at Riot Fest 2014 – CHICAGO
50. HOT METRO FINDS: Paul Weller at Riot Fest 2014 – CHICAGO/TORONTO
51. HOT METRO FINDS: Cheap Trick at Riot Fest 2014
52. HOT METRO FINDS: The Buzzcocks Interview – Riot Fest 2014
53. HOT METRO FINDS: GWAR (BLOTHAR) INTERVIEW – RIOT FEST 2014
54. HOT METRO FINDS: The Descendents – Everything Sux – RIOT FEST 2014
55. HOT METRO FINDS: Rare Adam and the Ants Tracks Make Their Way To The Web
56. HOT METRO FINDS: The Pizza Underground at Riot Fest Day 2 – Ted Cantu Was There 😉
57. HOT METRO FINDS: The Pizza Underground T-Shirt From Riot Fest 2014
58. HOT METRO FINDS BUSINESS: Social Media – Engagement – & Sales
59. HOT METRO FINDS: The Replacements Make A Comeback
60. HOT METRO FINDS: Pissed Off Employee Fires Of Resignation Letter With Attitude
61. HOT METRO FINDS: Slaughter and the Dogs Comes to Reggie’s Rock Club
62. HOT METRO FINDS: The Great Chicago FIRE FESTIVAL – 2014
63. AGENT ORANGE: Live at the Double Door 2014 – Hot Metro Finds Reviews The Show
64. HOT METRO FINDS: RIOT FEST DAY 3: FULL BLOWN RIOTING – Ted Cantu
65. HOT METRO FINDS: We Meet Up With Al Capone – Chicago
66. MEET JOHN HAMMINK: Digital Artist Just In Time To Save The Advertising Industry From Creative Burn Out
67. The Riot Fest Chronicles: THE DESCENDENTS – Hot Metro Finds on Location
68. ONLINE POWER BRANDING – For Maximum Sales – Get Local Customers Now
69. TED CANTU: Hot Metro Finds Exclusive – Covering Riot Fest 2014
70. HOT METRO FINDS: The Replacements Are Back at 30 Rock – Ted Cantu
71. HOT METRO FINDS: The Replacements Return To 30 Rock – NYC – Tonight Show
72. HOT METRO FINDS: Title Fight – Leaf – RIOT FEST 2014
73. HOT METRO FINDS: Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears – Bitch, I Love You
74. HOT METRO FINDS: Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears – Sugarfoot – RIOT FEST 2014
75. HOT METRO FINDS: The Grizzled Mighty – Riot Fest
76. HOT METRO FINDS: Return of the ANGRIEST Guitarist In The World
77. HOT METRO FINDS: The Pizza Underground – Take A Bite Of The Wild Slice
78. HOT METRO FINDS: Wu Tang Clan – Riot Fest 2014
79. HOT METRO FINDS: THE CURE at This Years Riot Fest 2014
80. HOT METRO FINDS: Riot Fest 2015 – Could Detroit Be A Possibility? – Ted Cantu
81. Ted Cantu And Hot Metro Finds Covers Riot Fest In Chicago Humboldt Park
82. HOT METRO FINDS: Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds – FLAMING LIPS – RIOT FEST 2014
83. HOT METRO FINDS: The Dandy Warhols at Riot Fest 2014 – Ted Cantu
84. HOT METRO FINDS: SAMIAM Riot Fest 2014 – Ted Cantu
85. HOT METRO FINDS: Another GOOD Reason To Go To RIOT FEST 2014
86. HOT METRO FINDS: Pussy Riot – Putin Lights Up The Fires – Ted Cantu
87. CHICAGO RIOT FEST – JANES ADDICTION – Been Caught Stealing – Hot Metro Finds
88. HOT METRO FINDS – Chicago Riot Fest 2014: TELEVISION – The Blank Generation
89. CHICAGO RIOT FEST 2014: Billy Bragg – Greetings To The New Brunette – Hot Metro Finds
90. CHICAGO RIOT FEST: The Picture Books – Your Kisses Burn Like Fire – Hot Metro Finds
91. WEEZER CHICAGO RIOT FEST 2014: Buddy Holly – LIVE – Hot Metro Finds
92. THE DESCENDENTS AT RIOT FEST 2014: The Descendants – Coolidge
93. Why Detroit Is More Punk Than L.A. And New York Put Together!
94. CHICAGO RIOT FEST 2014 – THE CURE – A Night Like This – Hot Metro Finds
95. CHICAGO RIOT FEST: Tegan & Sara – Back In Your Head – HOT METRO FINDS
96. CHICAGO RIOT FEST 2014: The Cure – In Between Days – Hot Metro Finds
97. CHICAGO RIOT FEST 2014: Social Distortion – Bad Luck – HOT METRO FINDS
98. RIOT FEST – THE BUZZCOCKS: What Do I Get? – Hot Metro Finds
99.HOT METRO FINDS – ECHO AND THE BUNNYMEN: Holy Moses on David Letterman Show
100. HOT METRO FINDS: Ted Cantu Whips Local Web Traffic Into Shape For Novi, Michigan Businesses
101. HOT METRO FINDS: The Return Of The Libertines 2014
102. THE BUZZCOCKS: Rocking Out At Chicago Riot Fest 2014
103. THE FLAMING LIPS: Your Most Gracious Hosts At Chicago’s Riot Fest 2014
104. Ted Cantu Hot Metro Finds Presents – THE BOOZE
105. Ted Cantu / Hot Metro Finds Presents: THE BOOZE – There Goes My Girl